Colorado Anti-fracking Movement Heating Up!
by: Lotus Posted on: September 08, 2013
Editor’s Note: A run down of the towns and counties in Colorado that are passing laws in opposition to the industrial gas extraction method known as hydraulic fracturing.
Lafayette: complete rights based Community Environmental Legal Defense Fund-style, oil, gas and hydrofracking ban will be on the ballot this November.
City of Boulder: a 5-year oil and gas-drilling moratorium will be on the ballot this November.
Boulder County: a 1.5-year oil and gas-drilling moratorium is currently in effect, and started a couple of months or so ago.
Broomfield: a 5-year oil and gas-drilling moratorium will be on the ballot this November.
Fort Collins: a 5-year oil and gas-drilling moratorium will be on the ballot this November.
Loveland: 2-year oil and gas-drilling moratorium petitions were turned in, but the petition is being challenged. If the challenge is not successful, then this moratorium will be on the ballot this November.
Longmont: Passed a ban in November 2012 that is still in court based on both the hydrofracking ban and the oil and gas regulations; and both cases are likely to be in court a long time.
Colorado Springs: complete rights based Community Environmental Legal Defense Fund-style, oil, gas and hydrofracking ban still in court based on the petition language having been rejected by the Title Board, and is likely to be in court a long time.
Photo: Mitchell, S. A., Mitchell’s New General Atlas Containing Maps of the Various Countries of the World, Plans of Cities, Etc., embraced in Fifty-Five Quarto Maps, Forming a series of Eight-Seven Maps and Plans, together with Valuable Statistical Tables, 1866 edition.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Articles On Community Rights
- May 19 Part 2: Jordan Cove LNG Backers Spend Huge Money to Sway Tiny Oregon County Election
- May 2 Part 1: Oregon County Faces Gas Industry Funding, Lobbyists in Battle to Halt Jordan Cove LNG Project
- Jan 12 For Teachers and Citizens: How to Respond to Federal Immigration Raids
- Jan 5 How To Respond When Your (Local) Government Gets Sued By A Corporation
- May 25 Interview: The Working Class Movement Fighting for Local Authority
- Apr 29 Interview: Challenging Corporations’ ‘Right’ To Grow GMOs in Rural Oregon
- Nov 3 Cancer Clusters Spark Historic Pesticide Vote in Oregon
- Dec 8 The Devil In The Details of Local Law
- Dec 8 Don’t Tread On Us-A Message from Colorado
- Dec 8 Making Sense of Recent Legal History
- Dec 8 Where Push Is Coming To Shove, USA
- Nov 8 The First Big Win for the $15 Movement
- Nov 8 A Legal Definition for ‘Unsustainable Energy’?
- Oct 8 When The State Pushes Back
- Oct 8 This Crow Won’t Fly
- Oct 8 A New County Constitution
- Sep 8 Homeless Bills of Rights-New Narratives
- Sep 8 Colorado Anti-fracking Movement Heating Up!
- Sep 8 Local Initiative Process Gutted
- Aug 8 Obstacles to Asserting Rights
- Aug 8 Benton County, OR Moves Forward with Nation’s Potential First Food Bill of Rights
- Jul 8 Spokane Continues to Fight for the Right to Vote
- Jul 8 Foster Youth Bill of Rights, New Narratives
- Jul 8 Santa Monica Passes West Coast’s First Rights of Nature Ordinance
- Jun 8 Housing Justice: Fighting for Rights
- Jun 8 A Community Rights Ordinance For South Puget Sound
- Jun 8 County Government Writes History, Hydrocarbon Ban is First of its Kind
- Jun 8 Food Bills of Rights and Monsanto-Speech
- Jun 6 GM Wheat Discovered in Oregon, Benton County Continues Work on Food Bill of Rights
- May 8 Does Food Sovereignty Exist in the United States? Food and the Community Rights Movement
- May 8 Washington Community Action Network Talks Rights
- Apr 7 Under the Radar: How a Multinational Corporation Quietly Bought a County-Wide Election
- Apr 2 Day One of the Occupation of Detroit
- Mar 25 Crude Oil Trains Proposed for Grays Harbor, WA: Citizens Challenge Permitting Process
- Mar 18 Middle School Elevates its Rights above Corporations’
- Mar 12 What a Difference a Degree Makes
- Mar 2 The Story of Broadview Heights, Ohio
- Feb 17 Democracy Denied in Small Town, USA
- Feb 4 The View from Plymouth, NH
- Jan 27 Benton County’s Fight to Protect Our Seed Heritage: A Food Bill of Rights
- Jan 16 Fighting for the Right to a Sustainable Food System: Benton County, Oregon
- Jan 6 Rivers and Natural Ecosystems as Rights Bearing Subjects
- Dec 31 Case Study: The Community Right to Sustainable Energy
- Dec 24 Barnstead, NH: Establishing the Community Right to Water and Self-Governance
- Dec 19 New Section: Community Rights
- Sep 23 Changing ‘Fundemental Law’, a Case Study: Bellingham
- Mar 29 The Right to Self-Govern